Embossing with Pan Pastels

It's week 2 of our embossing challenge over at Pan Pastels UK and adore how each of the DT have interpreted the them and used mediums and their pan pastels in different ways. I am in awe of my teamies and learn so much from them each week. The main thing I have learnt being on this team is to just "give it a go" and "go with the flow" ... well what do we have to lose? Just a bit of time and having fun creating.

So my project this week was inspired (of course by the challenge theme) but by my growing collection of tins (and also my families frustration of having them hang around collecting dust), so this week I decide to alter a coffee tin in to a vase ready for Christmas. Gotta to say that I am starting to scare myself with how prepared I am getting for Christmas: it's unheard of normally!


This is how my tin started


 and after a quick coat of Maimeri gesso, I then added a layer of Maimeri Iridescent paste which I applied with my fingers. I wanted to create an uneven feel to the whole of the surface which I didn't think a stencil would allow me to do.


Next, I coloured some card with metallic pewter pan pastel, stamped some little dots and flowers on it with white chalk ink and then embossed the card with a damask folder. I then cut the card in to smaller panel and highlighted the edges with white (fine) pearlescent pan pastel and the panels were stuck down randomly.


I then set about cutting oodles of snowflakes in cream card. At the same time, I used wax paper but to help the die cut release but because I wanted to use the wax paper snowflakes too. The snowflakes were again randomly put on the embossed panels and finished with a button and a card candy centre.



Around the edges of the tin, I have added snowflakes (cut in half), finished with ribbon roses (or is it ribbon with roses on ... ?) and in their centres some blue ribbon roses (discovered gathering dust in a drawer that I had totally forgotten I even owned).


Whilst I did enjoy altering my tin, it just doesn't do anything for me ... it's okay but not what I had envisaged in my head ... (if I'm 100% honest, I don't like it one bit) but I think it is important we share our failures as well as our successes because that's how we learn. I have decided that I am now going to drill some holes in to the tin and use it as a candle holder for Christmas. All I need to do now is persuade hubby to let me loose with his precious drill ..... watch this space!


Off to pretend to be a domestic goddess today (yawnsville) and do a little bit of gardening too. Hoping your day is more action packed than mine will be,

Lou
x x x

Products I used:

http://www.premiumartbrands.com/categories/Pearlescent-PanPastels-%26-Mediums/  http://www.polkadoodles.co.uk/index.php?cPath=749_794    Maimeri Iridescent Paste/Gesso 200ML  Maimeri White Gesso 200ML 

I am entering my tin in to the following challenges:
A creative need - texture and/or patterns
Brown Sugar - anything goes
Dragons Lair - anything but a card
Winter Wonderland - layer it up
CRAFT - use metal or a charm (metal coffee tin)
Crafty Ribbons - buttons and ribbon
ABC Christmas - Something festive
Crafting by design - get ready for Christmas
The sisterhood of crafters - lots of layers

Comments

Doreen said…
Love this Lou,fab colours and love the texture.xxx
Unknown said…
One very talented Lady
Hugs Sus
xxxx
Claire said…
wow this is gorgeous Lou, love the frosty colours and all the texture looks fab
Claire xx
KarinsArtScrap said…
what a lovely decoration Lou.
Gr Karin
Annette said…
Wow, beautiful tin. It's so frosty looking and beautifully decorated.
Hugs
Annette - Netty's Cards
xx
Proud to design for :
As You Like It,
The Stamp Basket,
The Sugar Bowl Challenge,
ABC Christmas, and
Crafty Little Fairies.


Terry said…
Ohhhh my goodness what a fabulous project you have made Louise, just fabulous Hugs |Terry xxxx
Christelle said…
I love what you 've done with a simple coffee tin! It' gorgeous. Many thanks to join Crafty Ribbons Challenge this week and gook luck from Christelle DT!
Unknown said…
I love you''re tutorials, so easy to follow x love it x
Sandie x
Laura said…
So beautiful
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons
Laura
Darlene said…
WOW! What a beautiful REDO! Thanks for all the fabulous information and thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘LOTS OF LAYERS’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Barbiedi said…
very nice storage tin, i like the tutorial, thanks for taking part on Dragons Lair
Thanks for joining us at C.R.A.F.T. Challenges this week!
Monica - DT
Dorte said…
Fabulous Christmas project. Thanks for joining our fortnightly challenge at ABC Christmas Challenge. Hope you will join us next time.
Dorte x
Lorraine said…
A gorgeous project.

Thanks for joining this weeks challenge at Winter Wonderland.
Lorraine x