and one of my samples was a little set of drawers ... see below ...
... well, following on from this idea, I thought I might have a go at making the boxes in to a tower/column of drawers but as the idea progressed, the project grew and finally morphed in to this ...
The drawer units just looked "odd" standing all by their lonesome and needed "something" so after a considerable amount of "faff", I decided to join them together. I recently purchased some mount board off cuts from EBay and they came to me rescue. I strengthened the sides, created a back and bottom but still wasn't a 100% happy ...
Above shows the drawers on the left hand side and each has been a different type of opening but unified by using the label plaques. The MDF sea embellies are from Polkadoodles and can be found HERE. The silver effect name label things are from Stampin Up but can't remember why I purchased them ... sorry! The drawers are fully functioning too ...
These are the right hand side drawers and again follow the same theme as the others, each with different opening etc. Ooopps, should add the papers are from Trimcraft called "Sail Away" and I'm sure I bought them in The Range ... I think ...
A view from above which shows the next addition. As I said earlier, I joined the drawer sets together and yet again, wasn't truly happy with the "look". Using the offcuts of mount board to create the sides, I made another drawer to fit the gap. The front of the drawer was another off cut from mount board sides as i had die cut them to create my edges.
... and yep, you guessed it ... still not 100% happy with the look! I think this was down to the fact that the draw was very low and now looked swamped in the gap which made me then think "why not add a shelf" ... as you do!!!
Gosh adding this shelf was fiddly as it really should have been added at the same time the sides were constructed to help hide all the gluing and supports etc. After great determination (and some expletives plus a sprinkling of me questioning my sanity), it came together and phew, I think I was finally happy with both the shape and design.
The decoration has kept to the sea theme and I have used some old netting (taken from a Halloween decoration), sea shells and drift wood. I am very fortunate as my youngest sister lives extremely close to a huge river estuary, which in turn enters the sea, therefore finding sea shells and drift wood is a very easy task. When we visit, I gather/harvest lots of interesting sea finds ready to decorate my projects. The glasses are a photo prop (from a well known £shop) and I thought they added a bit of fun.
I now have another version of this on the go at the moment with a slight twist, so watch this space. I'm also hoping to make it in to a video to share how the cake slice boxes are converted in to drawers.
Not feeling so bright today... and no I'm not using it as an excuse to get out of the fencing. My stomach feels as if I am sailing on a boat during a particularly rough crossing, so will sign off now.
Have a great Sunday,
x x x
A perfect time to craft - anything goes
Altered Ecletics - anything goes
Crafty Hazelnut - patterned papers
Dies R Us - shaped card or projects
Love to craft - anything goes
Mix It Up - anything goes
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - mixed media
WWODT - anything goes